An Australian treat, sponge cake rectangle-shaped bars are coated on all sides with a and then coated with sweetened shredded (desiccated) coconut.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs (beaten)
- 2 cups self raising flour*
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened shredded (desiccated) or flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan and set aside.
- and sugar, gradually add the eggs and mix well. Add 1/3 cup of flour at a time, stirring gently and thoroughly after each addition.
- Place batter in pan and bake for 1 to 1 1/4 hours, decreasing the temperature to 325°F (160°C) after 30 minutes. Place on a rack to cool.
- For Icing: Sift into a bowl, add boiling water and vanilla to baking cocoa and stir into powdered sugar, beat well.
- Cut cooled cake into 24 rectangular-shaped bars and ice on all sides. This is best done using a pair of tongs and dipping the cake into the icing mixture, then roll the iced cake in the coconut, coating well. Allow to dry on a rack.
*Or you may substitute with 2 cups all purpose flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder and 1 teaspoon salt.
Makes 24 bars.