- 1 pound uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast
1/2 medium pineapple
1 medium green pepper
1 medium sweet red pepper
1 large Spanish onion
1/4 cup pineapple juice or orange juice
3 medium garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 cups cooked white rice, kept hot
- Cut each chicken breast, pineapple, pepper and onion into approximately 24 1-inch-thick pieces. Combine chicken, pineapple juice, garlic, soy sauce and oil in a large non-metallic bowl; marinate in refrigerator for at least one hour and up to 24 hours.
- Preheat grill. Lightly coat vegetables with cooking spray. Thread two pieces of pepper, pineapple, chicken and onion onto each of eight skewers. Brush with marinade. (Note: If using wooden skewers, soak in water to prevent charring.)
- Grill over medium-hot coals until chicken is completely cooked, about eight to 10 minutes, turning kebabs every two minutes so they're cooked evenly on all sides.
Makes 4 servings (2 kebabs and 1/2-cup rice per serving).
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
POINTS value per serving: Six
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons ginger, peeled and chopped
1 large onion, chopped
3 tablespoons chili powder
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple with its juice
1 (28-ounce) can tomatoes with their puree
1/3 cup ketchup
1/4 cup cider vinegar
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons light molasses
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon salt
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a 5 to 6 quart stockpot until hot.
- Add the ginger and onion and cook until the onion is golden and tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the chili powder and cook, stirring, for about 1 minute.
- Add the garlic and pineapple and cook for 1 minute longer.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the crushed tomatoes, ketchup, cider vinegar, brown sugar, molasses, dry mustard, and salt. Puree the sauce with a KitchenAid immersion blender until smooth.
- Return the saucepot to the heat and bring to a boil over high. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce reduces to about 5 cups-about 25 minutes.
Makes about 5 cups.