4 ounces NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® CHOCOLATIER 62% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Bar, broken into small pieces
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon red food coloring
- Cream Cheese Frosting:
1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, at room temperature
2 tablespoons butter, softened
2 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups powdered sugar
- Assorted sprinkles (optional)
- For Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350ºF (175ºC). Paper-line 18 muffin cups.
- Microwave chocolate in small, uncovered, microwave-safe bowl on HIGH (100%) power for 45 seconds; STIR. If pieces retain some of their original shape, microwave at additional 10 to 15-second intervals, stirring just until melted. Cool to room temperature.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Combine milk and vinegar in small glass measure. Beat sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla extract in large bowl on high for 2 minutes. Carefully beat in melted chocolate and red food coloring. Gradually beat in flour mixture alternately with milk mixture. Spoon into prepared muffin cups, filling 2/3 full.
- Bake for 22 to 27 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely. Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting. Top with sprinkles, if desired.
- For Cream Cheese Frosting: Beat cream cheese, butter, milk and vanilla extract in medium mixer bowl until light and fluffy, scraping bowl occasionally. Gradually beat in powdered sugar until light and fluffy. Makes about 1 3/4 cups.
Makes 18 cupcakes.
Estimated Times: Preparation - 25 min | Cooking - 22 min | Cooling Time - 30 min cooling |
- You may substitute store bought cream cheese frosting (one 16-oz. container) to save time.
- Frosting can be piped on with a pastry bag for a professional look.